Air Operations (No. 467 Squadron Lancaster aircraft PD231), Germany, 2 February 1945

No. 5 Group’s first contribution to the new campaign against enemy communications was a raid on 1st-2nd February by 271 Lancasters against the town and marshalling yards at Siegen, another new target to the east of Cologne. … The following night at Karlsruhe No. 463 lost one crew and No. 467 two, in addition to three members ordered to bale out of a burning Lancaster (1) before the fire was extinguished and its captain was able to fly it safely back to base.

(1) No. 467 Squadron Lancaster PD231

Extract from Herington, J. (John) (406545) Air War Over Europe 1944-1945, Australian War Memorial, Canberra, 1963 – Page 412

Lancaster PD231 took off from RAF Waddington at 2012 hours on the night of 2/3rd February 1945 to bomb Karlsruhe, Germany. PD231 landed back at base at 0349 hours on 3rd February. Nineteen aircraft from the Squadron took part in the raid and 2 of these failed to return.

The crew members of PD231 were:

Sergeant H L Carter (1895478) (RAFVR) (Flight Engineer) Safe
Flight Sergeant Leonard Albert Davies (436678) (Rear Gunner) Baled out: PoW, Discharged from the RAAF: 11 December 1945
Fight Sergeant Ivan Albany Norman Howell (436081) (Wireless Operator Air Gunner) Baled out: PoW, Discharged from the RAAF: 19 November 1945
Flying Officer George Moses (432534) (Navigator) Safe, Killed on Air Operations: 16 March 1945
Flying Officer John MacLeod Muir (428257) (Bomb Aimer) Safe, Discharged from the RAAF: 19 February 1946
Flight Sergeant John Patrick Winton Phillips (435417) (Mid Upper Gunner) Baled out: PoW, Discharged from the RAAF: 26 November 1945.
Flying Officer Keith Roy Swain DFC (427485) (Pilot) Safe, Discharged from the RAAF: 3 October 1945

The following is an extract from the Operations Record Book “Sortie completed. Target area reached but target not attacked owing to message from Controller ‘stop bombing and return to base’. On way into target at 4930N 0805E at 2320 hours, height 15,500 feet port outer engine on fire (CEU oil pipe line fractured) and unable to feather. We lost 5000 feet going towards target still intending to bomb until Controllers message received. Ordered crew stand by to abandon. At approximately 48.57N 007.57E at 2332 hours height 10,000 feet Captain gave order to jump owing to port outer fire breaking out again, A/c out of control. WOP, Mid Upper gunner and Rear Gunner jumped. After that the fire reduced and went out to a glow. Airscrew still windmilling. Came home via Juvincourt, Manston, Woodbridge in case of further trouble, but managed to make base. Large hole in H2S blister – supposed flak but not known when caused. Full load jettisoned. Whole crew behaved splendidly. All kept cool in emergency.”

In a later statement Flight Sergeant Howell said “Port outer packed up, and unable to feather. Lost height rapidly. Pilot ordered parachute on and back to jumping stations. At about 9,000 feet bomb jettisoned. Aircraft shuddering from stem to stern and engine on fire. Bale out order at approximately 8,000 feet. Mid Upper and I went out of rear door. Rear Gunner out of turret. Understand that afterwards pilot regained control of aircraft, countermanded order and aircraft and rest of crew returned to base. Liberated by US Army on 29/4/45.”

No. 463 Squadron lost Lancaster ME290 (Flying Officer Richard Kay Oliver (429124) (Pilot)) on 2 February 1945.

No. 467 Squadron lost Lancaster PB306 (Flying Officer James Magnus Inkster (432191) (Pilot)) on 2 February 1945.

No. 467 Squadron lost Lancaster LM100 (Flying Officer Alton Neil Goulburn Robinson (422885) (Pilot)) on 2 February 1945.


Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour On-Line Records (RAAF Casualty Information compiled by Alan Storr (409804))
Commonwealth War Graves Commission On-Line Records
Department of Veteran’s Affairs On-Line WWII Nominal Roll

Book Now Book Now